Saturday, March 24, 2012

Basil Pesto, Roasted Tomatoes and Spinach Salad


My husband, Dr. Gold, just got home from a week away so we decided to stay in tonight. His only request was “something light and healthy”

I wasn’t in the mood for braving a grocery store, so I pieced together a dinner from what was left in the fridge.

I made a homemade basil pesto earlier this week (in my trusty Vita-Mix), and wanted to use it up.

Easy Homemade Basil Pesto

Ingredients:

Big ol’ pile of fresh basil (roughly 3 cups)
½ c pine nuts (toasted)
¼ c extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c. fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic
salt & pepper to taste

Process:

I tossed 2 tbsp of this pesto with some fresh, flat noodle pasta I picked up at Granville Island Market last weekend (interestingly, I bought it while Dr. Gold was out of town, thinking it was a suitable portion for me. Turned out it created a hearty portion for the two of us. A lesson in portion size for me!).

I've also had a bag of tomatoes on the vine sitting in my fruit bowl all week. I had to use them today before they went bad.

Time for....

My Mama's Roasted Tomatoes


Ingredients:
4-6 large tomatoes (roughly chopped into eighths)
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
handful of finely chopped basil
1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Spinach Salad

Ingredients:
3 c. fresh spinach
2 T. crumbled goat cheese
¼ c. dried cranberries
¼ c. almonds
3 T. raspberry vinaigrette
(A post on salad dressing recipes to come ….)








No comments:

Post a Comment