Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pork Tenderloin with Apples and White Wine

I wanted to create a fancy-pants version of pork chops and applesauce and had a pork tenderloin in the fridge. Parts of this worked really well, and I learned some lessons from this attempt.

I made this recipe up after googling how to cook a tenderloin and deciding to try searing for the first time!

Ingredients:
1 pork tenderloin - trimmed of that shiny grey fat that is on the outside
1 c reduced sodium chicken broth
1 c white wine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1/2 coarsely chopped Vidalia onion
1 coarsely chopped apple

sauce:
drippings from roast
1 tbsp butter
1/2 c white wine
2 tbsp light cream cheese, plain

Process:
-preheat oven to 350 degrees
-salt and pepper, sear pork tenderloin on stove top
-combine all ingredients in casserole dish
-cook for 20 minutes at a time, checking temperature of tenderloin and covering mean in sauce periodically
-sauce: take 1/2 of drippings from casserole dish after pork is done cooking and place in saucepan on stovetop at med-high temperature with wine, butter and cream cheese, mix until bubbling
-slice pork, serve with sauce, onions and apples

-Makes four servings

Nutritional Information:
 (including sauce, per serving)
Calories: 290
Carbs: 10 g
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 25 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugar: 8 g

Yum or Not?
 I served this with a big salad (including the delicious vine ripened tomatoes that I found at the fruit and veg store this week) and broccoli and green beans.

The pork was a little tough when we ate it. I used a meat thermometer and cooked the pork in 20 minute increments until it reached the recommended temperature next to the outline of the pig on the meat thermometer (170 degrees). This took nearly an hour at 350 degrees.

I did some more reading after dinner and I think this was at least double the amount of cooking time that I needed.

Next time, I will sear the pork for longer on the stove top. I let it get barely white on each side (about 1 1/2 minute per side), next time I'll let it actually brown before putting it in the oven. I may also turn the temp in the oven up to 375. Apparently, to kill any dangerous suckers in pork, you only have to get the internal temp up to 145 degrees. Also, I know that if I tent the meat for a good 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven, it will continue to cook and all the juices will soak in nicely. I didn't do that this time.

Overall, the food was super, duper tasty and even though the meat was a little tough, the tastes were fantastic and just sweet enough.

I will definitely replicate this recipe, it was totally yum. Captain Handsome liked this, but prefers red/brown sauces to fruity/white sauces, so he stuck with one serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment