Sunday, April 01, 2012

Big Bowl Turbo Salad

Have you seen Being Sarah Marshall? In it, Jason Segal is depressed and eats a bowl of cereal, but no ordinary bowl will do. He grabs a giant salad bowl (like one you'd serve salad to a whole family in) and fills it with a sugary cereal and plops down on the couch to dig in.

The other night, I was super hungry and I knew our shallow little individual salad bowls would not satisfy my ravenous appetite. I grabbed a big serving bowl for my giant salad.

When I arrived to the living room with my dinner, Captain Handsome called me Jason Segal.

Ingredients:
3 cups herb mix baby lettuce (this is so awesome - it has a whole mix of baby lettuces, plus fresh cilantro, dill and parsley)
1/4 c bean sprouts
1/4 c pea pod sprouts (I am in love with micro-greens)
1/2 chopped tomato
1 slice of red onion
1/4 chopped fiji apple
2 chopped strawberries
1/4 avocado
1 oz low fat feta, crumbled
2 tbsp homemade vinaigrette 

Procedure:
-Combine all ingredients
-Toss
-Enjoy!

(Makes one hearty serving)

Nutritional Information:
Calories:300
Carbs: 25 g
Fat: 11 g
Protein: 10 g
Fibre: 8 g
Sugar: 17 g

Yum or Not:
I added a bit of leftover Prosciutto Basil Turkey to this salad for some extra protein. It was super tasty. Although it was relatively high in both carbs and sugar, it was worth it because of the the added tastes that the fruit contributed. You could easily leave out some of the fruit, but I had it in the kitchen and wanted to use it up!

I wish I'd had a hard boiled egg ready to go to toss in to up my protein, as I know how much that fills me up, but I was overall, very satisfied with my Turbo Salad.

I loved this salad, and I felt great after eating it. Sometimes, I find I need a real bulk of food and this certainly hit the spot. I was eating for a LOOONG time!


No comments:

Post a Comment