Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Turkey Low-Carb Meatloaf

Captain Handsome is heading out to watch the hockey tonight (which I don't favour) and I had some extra lean ground turkey thawed in the fridge. Perfect combination for meatloaf (which the Captain doesn't favour). The Captain won't touch the stuff and I needed to use up the meat.

I searched online for low-carb meatloaf recipes, and adapted this one from Keto Krazed. Right now my Meatloaf is in the oven. If it's awesome, I'll be heading back to Keto Krazed for more recipes. Ha

Ingredients:
Meatloaf:
1 1/4 lb extra lean ground turkey (it's embarrassing how long it took me to find out how much turkey I had in my Costco pack, I needed to do a google search, then a conversion, now I've revealed that to you, loyal reader/s. When I discovered that it was just over a pound of meat and I thought of the 42 I've now lost, I felt pretty good, though.)
1 oz Balderson aged cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tbsp Heinz ketchup (I have to pick up some low-carb reduced-sugar ketchup, I used the regular stuff, as that's all we have right now.)
2 eggs
My best kitchen tool - the garlic roller!
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried cilantro
1 tsp fresh ground sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
Sauce:
1/3 tomato, chopped into tiny pieces
1 tbsp ketchup
1.5 tsp Splenda

Process:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mixing it up!
-Mix all meatloaf ingredients in one bowl (remove eggshells if you broke some into the bowl, as I did)
-Mix sauce ingredients in another bowl
-Spray a loaf pan with Pam (and try not to drop greased pan into sink full of dirty dishes, as I did)
The raw meatloaf.
-Spread meat mixture in loaf bowl
Sauced up.
Sauced up - from another angle.
-Spread sauce on top of meat mixture
-Place in oven and cook for 42 minutes

(Makes four servings)

Nutritional Information:
(per serving)
Calories: 270
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 34 g
Carbs: 8 g
Fibre: 0 g
Sugar: 4 g (that's the ketchup!)
Net carbs: 8 g

Yum or Not:
I intended to cook the meatloaf for 35 minutes, but when I peeked in, the internal temperature was not yet at 145 degrees and there was a juicy looking layer on top. I gave it another 8 minutes to see if it would cook off. It didn't really.
Fresh out of the oven, complete with meat thermometer and juicy, fatty liquid.
I'm not sure why this fatty/juicy coating emerged. I suppose I usually drain off some fat when I cook turkey, but it's not a lot. I guess with meatloaf, you usually use breadcrumbs, and those would soak up this stuff.
The meatloaf with the juicy, fatty topping removed.
It wasn't a big deal, as I scooped off the juicy looking layer (it was a bit like meat fat/egg yolk) and the meatloaf looked better.

Fortunately, I didn't judge until I tasted and I'm glad I waited. The meatloaf is really tasty. I'd say this is another yum. The meatloaf is flavourful and moist. The topping is especially tangy and nice. The mix of herbs and spices in the meatloaf worked perfectly. I will be making this again. I wonder if I can convince the Captain to eat it? Perhaps if I form it into a patty and tell him it's a burger!
Grandpa's classic asparagus - boiled in a pan of water, drained, and topped with Italian dressing and asiago cheese.

I served my generous slice of meatloaf with asparagus topped with Italian dressing and asiago cheese. It may not look like it in this picture, but the meatloaf slice was awesomely hearty and satisfying.

My leftovers. Three meals worth.
Overall, another yum (and low-carb) dinner.

Next steps: I would like to make a Low-Carb Turkey Shepherd's Pie with a cauliflower topping.

1 comment: