Monday, April 09, 2012

Fried Eggs on Cheese Crisps

I've been skipping breakfast lately and really noticing it. I've been waking up and not feeling hungry, so haven't bothered to whip up my regular egg scrambler/messy omelette. That ends up sabotaging me later in the day, though. I end up feeling really hungry and overeating.

I have realized that breakfast is, indeed, the most important meal of the day and that if I have a huge dose of protein first thing, I feel much better all day. 


On the weekend, we planned to pick up amazing breakfast treats for a visiting friend at the Art-is-In Bakery (I was going to have an open-faced breakfast sandwich). We drove up to the loading dock that houses the amazing bakery and found it was closed (oh yeah, Easter is a holiday for bakers too).

Luckily, there were two little shops open in nearby Westboro and Captain Handsome picked up fresh Montreal-style bagels and bacon at The Bagelshop and I got some eggs at Herb and Spice.

When we got home, I got cooking and decided to skip the open-faced part of my breakfast sandwich and stick the eggs and bacon on cheese instead. Yay, fewer carbs!

The Captain and our guest both passed on eggs, so I whipped them up some pancakes (I didn't even have a bite, despite the real maple syrup!)


My mega protein brunch kept me going and helped me to resist having thirds of my brother-in-law's amazing stuffing later in the evening!


Ingredients:
2 fresh eggs
1/2 c Kraft Tex-Mex shredded cheese (light)


Procedure:
Eggs:
-If you're having bacon, cook it first and leave some of the fat in the pan to make ultra yummy fried eggs. Otherwise, melt a little bit of butter into the pan.
-Crack two eggs over the pan, heat on med-high, cover, cook for 2 minutes or until most of runny bits are no longer runny.
-Flip eggs and cook for another 15 seconds or so.
-Serve on top of cheese crisps.
Cheese Crisps:
-Rip a piece of parchement paper so that it fits on top of a microwave safe plate.
-Take a handful of shredded cheese and split into two even piles on top of parchment paper.
-Flatten cheese out evenly.
-Cook in microwave for 1 minute.

(makes one serving)

Nutritional Information:
(per serving of 2 eggs and 2 cheese crisps, bacon would be extra)
Calories: 305
Fat: 23 g
Protein: 25 g
Carbs: 3 g
Fibre: 0 g
Sugar: 1 g
Net Carbs: 3 g

Yum or Not:
This was really tasty. I didn't include the bacon, because the bacon I had wasn't awesome and I didn't include it in the photo. Overall, a simple and yum breakfast. I didn't feel deprived. The cheese underneath the eggs was crispy but a little melty because of the heat of the eggs.

When I was little, one of my favourite breakfasts was fried eggs with toast fingers to dip in the yellows. The crisps under the eggs served as a bit of a toast consistency and soaked up some of the yolks. These were a lovely substitute for bread.

Once again, yay for cheese crisps!

In other related news: My mother-in-law, who is incredible chef and loyal reader, has oven-baked cheese crisps for years, but has always had to move ultra fast to remove them from the cookie sheet so they don't stick. She is now using parchment paper (at my recommendation) and has realized what a wonder it is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment