Monday, April 02, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Low-Carb(onara)


Tonight, I tried something completely new. I roasted a spaghetti squash and had it sitting in the fridge and wanted to have a decadent, pasta-type meal. I also had a few slices of the yummiest bacon left from my new favourite store, The Produce Depot, just hanging out in the fridge.

One of the message boards I lurk on Reddit is keto (people doing a ketogenic, low carb, high fat/protein diet) and someone posted a photo of their version of low-carb pasta carbonara. I didn't read or save the link or recipe, but I think I had the basic idea. I was inspired as I considered what I had in the kitchen.

I gave 'er a go.

Read on to see how it went.

Spaghetti Squash Low-Carb(onara)

Ingredients:
1 small spaghetti squash (nets about 2 cups of squash "noodles")
5 slices of smoked bacon
1/2 c frozen peas
Thin slice of red onion, diced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp light plain cream cheese
2 tbsp 0% plain Greek yogurt
1/4 c part-skim Mozarella cheese
1/4 c Asiago cheese

Procedure:
-Pre-cook the spaghetti squash (slice in half, roast at 350 degrees for 45 min-1 hour, face down in a little bit of low-sodium chicken broth)
-Spoon out the seeds from the squash and use a fork to pull out the strands of deliciousness, put aside (this refrigerates and keeps nicely for a few days)
-Pre-heat oven to broil
-Cook the bacon on the stovetop
Gratuitous bacon shot.
-Remove the bacon and cut into small strips, return to pan
-Add garlic, butter, onions and peas and to pan with bacon, sautee for about 5 minutes (or until peas are thawed and warm)
-Add cream cheese and Greek yogurt and sautee for another few minutes
-Add spaghetti squash, stir
-Add mozzarella cheese, stir until cheese is melted
-Divide mixture into 3 oven-safe dishes (ramekins, if you have them), top with asiago cheese
Pre-cheese.
Cheesed-up.
-Broil in oven for a few minutes (keep an eye on your cheese and watch that it bubbles, but doesn't burn)
Three little soldiers, hard at work, getting yummed up.
I had to top two of the servings with mozzarella, as I only had enough asiago for one. The mozzarella browned/burned really quickly. Next time, I'd put asiago on top for all of them.
-Enjoy!

(makes 3 servings)

Nutritional Information:
(per serving)
Calories: 245
Carbs: 8 g
Fat: 17 g
Protein: 12 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g

Yum or Not:
This was really, really delicious, and because Captain Handsome's wary of both peas and spaghetti squash, I have two leftover ramekins of Spaghetti Squash Low-Carb(onara) leftover for myself. The taste of spaghetti squash is nice. It's a little nutty and inoffensive, but the consistency isn't quite pasta-esque. The taste of this dish was terrific, but still doesn't replace a pasta craving entirely. I wonder how this recipe would be with a larger veggie base, something like roasted cauliflower.

Overall, the taste was super-yum and the consistency was good, but a little like baby food. I'm sure you can see that in the pictures. Don't let that turn you off the recipe, it was really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment